NATIONAL COFFEE DAY!
According to the my morning radio show, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, and Tim Horton’s are serving up free cups of coffee all day long!
Now that you’ve got your coffee in hand, sip on these sweet facts about that free goodness!
- The darker the roast, the less caffeine it has! So that blonde roast that seems superfluous to your morning routine? Drink up!
- The coffee “bean” actually starts out as a bright red berry.
- Hawaii is the only state that possesses the perfect conditions to grow coffee.
- Instant coffee was invented by George Washington! No, not that one—a nice Belgian man who lived in Guatemala at the time of invention (1906—in case you were curious).
- Studies have shown that coffee, more so the polyphenols in coffee, can stave off Alzheimer’s and dementia! Cheers to that!
- Adding caffeine to your post run refuel plan can replenish glycogen stores by up to 66% when compared to no caffeine.
- Dehydrating? I think not! Studies have shown that you can gulp down 5 cups of coffee without affecting your hydration levels. More than that, though, and you might experience the often rumored diuretic effects of coffee.
Speaking of Number 6, RunnersWorld has shared this!
Mocha-Madness Recovery Shake
2 oz Espresso (or strong coffee)
8 oz Low-fat Greek yogurt
2 T Sweetened (or even better—dark!) chocolate
5 Ice Cubes
Blend, Pour, Replinish!
Carbs: 71 g
Protein: 19 g
Fat 6.5 g
Calcium: 30% DV
I think I’ll try this after my long run tomorrow morning. I’ll post a photo and let you know how it tastes!